Learn why you should apply sealcoating to your asphalt
It is undeniable that asphalt is one of the most popular materials used for paving driveways and pathways. Not only is it super durable and convenient to install, but it is also an environmentally friendly option. Its signature characteristic is giving pavements a strikingly black color that contributes to its overall beauty and value.
Unfortunately, this beautiful dark color is not bound to last long. The change in weather and everyday wear and tear soon take a toll and eventually render the surface with greyish color and numerous cracks and potholes.
The best way to prevent asphalt from decaying is by sealcoating it properly. To understand this better, let’s read what sealcoating is and why sealer should be applied to your asphalt surfaces.
What Is Sealcoating
Sealcoating is a common road resurfacing method that involves applying a special mixture of liquids and small particle solids (such as sand) on new or old asphalt surfaces. It is a protective layer of sorts that prevents the effects of the sun, temperature, moisture, and traffic on your blacktop.
Since asphalt is a not a solid fixture but a dynamic material that needs constant care, it is advised to sealcoat it every two to three years for longevity. It is easy to apply sealer on an asphalt surface. Anyone can do it with little knowledge. However, the more you are aware of its benefits, the better you will be able to take care of your asphalt pavements and walkways.
Benefits Of Applying Sealcoat On Asphalt Surfaces
• Improves Appearance - Your driveway is a busy area. It sees regular foot traffic and has vehicles parked on it nearly every day. If not maintained well, such conditions can have a detrimental effect on your house’s pavement and by extension, the outer appearance. By applying sealer on your asphalt surface, you can keep its deep black color intact for a long time, making the entrance feel more welcoming for guests.
• Strengthens Cracked Areas - Sealcoating becomes particularly valuable when you have cracks and small potholes in your asphalt walkway. Instead of patching every crack one by one, a simple coating of sealer can quickly solve the problem in less time. The coating fills the crack naturally and prevents water from entering the crevices that would otherwise cause more damage to the asphalt.
• Protects The Asphalt Surface - Many factors can severely affect an asphalt surface, such as water (in cold regions) along with heat and chemical spills. When water works its way under the asphalt, it expands and starts causing cracks. Sealcoating the asphalt surface protects it from these external factors while ensuring that your driveway looks great for years to come.
• Blocks The UV Rays - When not protected well, asphalt surfaces can fade and crack easily. This especially happens in the hot regions, where there is high exposure to the ultraviolet rays of the sun. You can use sealcoating to create a buffer between your asphalt walkway and harsh UV rays, as sealer tends to mold itself instead of cracking at high temperatures.
• Promotes Longevity - As compared to concrete, asphalt surfaces do not last long and are more prone to wear and tear. By applying sealcoating on it, you can significantly lengthen the lifespan of an asphalt project while maintaining its appearance.
If you are looking for professional sealcoating services for your pavement, our team at Gray’s Paving & Asphalt Plant can help you! We offer prompt and cost-effective sealcoating services that will have your pavement looking pristine and new in no time. Call today at 802-334-7260.
Gray's Paving & Asphalt Plant has been proudly serving the northern Vermont area since 1984!